The volunteer program is definitely an instrument to achieve these important and fundamental goals of our mission. Without the help of volunteers, the shelter wouldn't be as successful as it is. No matter what task volunteers carry out, their work here is essential. I count on your help to make the lives of all of our animals easier by donating your time, work, skills and talents. By donating a little bit of time you can make a homeless animal very happy! If you would like to volunteer, there are many tasks you can do. To get it started please complete the VOLUNTEER APPLICATION HERE
Steps to became a KHS volunteer
1. Fill out a volunteer application and turn it in.
2. Check your email for our orientation to be sent.
3. Email the coordinator when you have completed the orientation.
4. Attend a tour bringing your proof of tetanus, proof of insurance and the $20 processing fee. (Fee will include the cost of a t-shirt.)
5. Complete four hours of basic volunteer service around the shelter, such as laundry, cleaning, adoption bags, escorting patrons. This gives you an opportunity to get to know the shelter and find the tasks you feel the most comfortable and excited to do.
6. Upon completion of the four hours, you will meet with the volunteer coordinator and
schedule a time to train on more specific tasks such as cat socialization and dog
walking and set up a regular schedule for volunteering in the areas that best fit you and your lifestyle.
- The minimum age for volunteers is 16 years old.
- You may volunteer starting at age 10 to 15 with a parent or guardian who is at least 21
years old. All family participants must have health insurance and supply the insurance
card and/or enrollment numbers to the Volunteer Coordinator.
NOTE: Our Family Volunteer program is designed specifically for families who want the experience of volunteering together. Please choose this option only if you are sincere about working together.
Time of commitment
- Be able to contribute at least four hours per month under a flexible schedule.
- Be willing to commit at least 6 months of service to the Kokomo Humane Society.
NOTE: Please consider your schedule and time availability before you commit to our program. We need your dedication in order to make it a good experience for you and all the animals. If you miss two months, you will be considered inactive and it may be necessary to go through training again.
Volunteer Opportunities"At A Distance" Volunteering
- Dog Walker
- Playgroup Runner
- Dog Socializer
- Cat Socializer
- Animal Care
- PETCO Habitat Caretaker
- Special Event Coordinator and volunteer
- " Open Arms" Foster Parent
- Environment Sanitizer
- Greeter/ Matchmaker
- Adoption Follow-up
- Basic Maintenance Projects
If you are interested in helping the shelter, but would rather do so from a distance, there are a variety of ways you can help. Holding donation drives at your place of work, church, or school is a wonderful way people can help the animals. Another suggestion might be to design and sew soft cushy comforters for the cat and kitten cages. If you are good with a computer, you could design spreadsheets and work on them from your home. You could use some of our photos to design posts to get our animals adopted. Bring your ideas to us, we are happy to hear them. Volunteering from a distance allows you to be creative and imaginative and is a fun way to help out.